Mr. Hager has given many speeches and written scores of articles. Set out below is a representative sample of his articles and speeches.
Colodny Fass Annual State of Florida Insurance Symposium
Moderator, Panel on Workers’ Compensation Insurance
Participant, Legislative Panel
Annual Pre-Legislative Seminar
Sponsored by the Florida Chamber of Commerce
Participant, Legislative Panel
“State of Affairs of the Florida Insurance Marketplace”
Presentation to the Florida Insurance Counsel
“Funding the Florida Catastrophic Storm Risk Management Center at Florida State University for Research and Mitigation Purposes”
Florida House of Representatives, 2014 Session
Presentation to the House Insurance and Banking Committee;
Presentation to the House Government Operations Appropriation Committee;
Presentation to the House Regulatory Affairs Committee;
“Securing Florida’s Property Insurance Future”
Insurance Day Summit Bermuda 2013 Annual Conference
June 25-26, 2013
“Florida’s 2013 Legislative Session and Florida’s Future Insurance Market”
Florida Insurance Council 2013 Summer Symposium
June 9-11, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“How the Florida Legislature is Building Infrastructure to Assure Optimum Out-Year Commerce”
Economic Council of Palm Beach County, Board of Directors Meeting
June 12, 2013
Boca Raton, Florida
Law Review Articles:
1. William D. Hager & Paul-Noel Chretien, “The Emerging Law of Actuarial Malpractice,” 31 DRAKE L. REV. 831 (1982).
2. William D. Hager & Larry Zimpleman, The Norris Decision, Its Implications and Application, 32 DRAKE L. REV. 913 (1983).
3. William D. Hager, The Authority of the States Over Debtor Coercion By the Federal Savings and Loan Associations, 27 DRAKE L. REV. 651 (1977).
4. William D. Hager & James G. Leach, An Unsolicited Addition to the Wachtell, Lipton Takeover Response Checklist: The Merger of Revlon and McCarran-Ferguson, 41 Federation of Insurance & Corporate Counsel 189 (1991).
Amicus Curiae Brief
5. Brief of Amicus Curiae American Academy of Actuaries, Arizona Governing Comm. v. Norris, 463 U.S. 1073 (1983)(No. 82-52).
6. William D. Hager, Actuarial Malpractice - Real and Otherwise, 31 Conf. of Actuaries in Pub. Prac. Proc. 334 (1981).
7. William D. Hager, Actuarial Malpractice - The Emerging Law and Growing Exposure, 32 Conf. of Actuaries in Pub. Prac. Proc. 480 (1982).
8. William D. Hager, The Emerging Law of Actuarial Malpractice, 32 Conf. of Actuaries in Pub. Prac. Proc. 496 (1982).
9. William D. Hager, Actuarial Liability, 35 Conf. of Actuaries in Pub. Prac. Proc. 627 (1985).
10. William D. Hager, The Emerging Law of Actuarial Malpractice, 35 Conf. of Actuaries in Pub. Prac. Proc. 643 (1985).
11. William D. Hager, The Workers’ Compensation Crisis, 41 Conf. of Consulting Actuaries 351 (1992).
12. William D. Hager, Three Questions Regarding Enjoining Operations of RRGs and PGs, Risk Retention Rep., Sept. 1989 at 155.
13. William D. Hager, Ohio Takes Leading Role in Tracking Workers Comp Fraud, Bus. Courier, Feb. 10, 1977.
14. William D. Hager, Breathe Life Into Safety Education Programs, The Bus. J. of Jacksonville, Oct. 21, 1996.
15. William D. Hager, Prepare Employees For Overseas Travel Risks, The Bus. J. of Jacksonville, Oct. 25, 1996.
16. William D. Hager, States Provide Incentives for Drug Free Workplaces: Workers Comp Offers Discounts, Cincinnati Bus. Courier, May 9, 1997.
17. William D. Hager, Return to Work Programs, Rough Notes Rep.
18. William D. Hager, Stress Busters Designed to Relieve On the Job Burnout, Rough Notes Rep.
19. William D. Hager, Quality Process in the Workplace, Rough Notes Rep.
20. William D. Hager, Modifying the Workplace to Eliminate Repetitive Stress Syndrome, Rough Notes Rep.
21. William D. Hager, Employers Should Take Precautions With Pregnant Workers, Health Care Monthly, May 9, 1997.
22. Megan Santosus, Cross Purposes, CIO Mag., Nov. 1, 1994 (chronicling the technological transition Hager led while President of Nat’l. Council Comp. Ins. (NCCI), Boca Raton, Fla.).
23. William D. Hager, Lifting Awareness on Experience Ratings, PRSIM Points (WCSIT and ISDA, Springfield, Ill.), Spring / Summer 1996.
24. William D. Hager, The Workers’ Compensation Crisis: Addressing the Real Problem, Spring 1992 F. of the Cas. Actuarial Soc’y 189.
25. William D. Hager, NCCI States Its Case, Indep. Agents Mag., May, 1994.
26. Interview with William D. Hager, President, NCCI, in BNA Workers Comp. Rep., Dec. 11, 1990 at 1.
27. William D. Hager, Introduction to Bruce N. Barge and John G. Carlson, the Executive’s Guide to Controlling Health Care and Disability Costs (1993).
28. William D. Hager, Perspectives of the Nineties, Address at Connecticut Insurance Day (Apr. 4, 1995).
29. William D. Hager, The State of Workers Compensation, Address at the American Association of State Compensation Insurance Funds Conference (Aug. 1993).
30. William D. Hager, The State of Workers Compensation, Address Before the Minnesota Chapter of the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters Society (Nov. 4, 1993).
31. William D. Hager, Major Workers Compensation, Address Before the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters Society (Nov. 8, 1995).
32. William D. Hager, Workers Compensation Fraud, Address at the American Risk and Insurance Association Annual Meeting (Aug. 11, 1997).
33. William D. Hager, Cycles in Workers Comp, Address at the American Association of State Compensation Insurance Funds Annual Conference (Aug. 18, 1997).
34. William D. Hager, NCCI: Enhanced Products and Services, Address at the Annual Corporate Advisory Board of the PMA Insurance Group (May 2, 1997).
35. William D. Hager, The State of Workers Compensation, Address at the Independent Insurance Agents of Iowa Convention (May 15, 1997).
36. William D. Hager, The Future of Rating Bureaus, Address at the Casualty Actuarial Society Spring Meeting (May 19, 1997).
37. William D. Hager, The State of Workers Compensation, Address Before the Maryland Workers Compensation Educational Association (Sept. 15, 1997).
38. William D. Hager, The Future of Workers Compensation, Annual Address at the Meeting and Annual Issues Symposium of NCCI (1991-1997).
39. William D. Hager, What State Departments of Insurance Should Expect from Casualty Loss Reserve Specialists. 1987 Casualty Loss Reserve Seminar.
40. William D. Hager, The Unfair Claims Practices Act – Sword and Shield; The Corporate Compliance and Executive Planning Super Conference - Governance: Sarbanes-Oxley and Beyond; (September 4, 2003).
41. William D. Hager, Actuarial Malpractice; The Conference of Consulting Actuaries; (November 3, 2003)
42. William D. Hager, Contributor and Periodic Guest as to Insurance Issues: the Nationally Syndicated Weekly Radio Show: It’s Your Money with host Bill Bailey (2003).
Risk Retention Litigation
43. Frontier Insurance Company, Inc. et al. v. William D. Hager, Commissioner of Insurance of the State of Iowa, #F87-645-E (U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa).
44. Swanco Insurance Company v. Hager, 877 F.2d 353 (8th Cir. 1989), cert. Denied, 493 U.S. 1057, 110 S.Ct. 866, 107 L.Ed. 2d. 361 (11th Cir. 1990).
Meet Insurance Expert Bill Hager
Get to know Bill Hager as he discusses his insurance industry background as former Iowa Insurance Commissioner, former president of NCCI, and many other executive and regulatory roles.